Sunday, April 11, 2010

stop, you're making me brush

I strongly believe that good makeup is difficult to do well without good brushes. Which is why, as you can see here, I always have my handy brush case around when I want to look pretty. Although I swear by the brushes in the photo, there are tons of brushes on the market, and I'm sure that some of you have your own preferences.

Also, I realize that this brush collection is NOT cheap. So do what I did to avoid breaking the bank: buy them one or two at a time. I promise it'll make the next purchase something exciting to look forward to, and keep you occupied by trying out the one you've just bought in the meantime.

Brushes (from left to right):
1. Bare Escentuals Handy Buki Brush, $20
2. Bare Escentuals Full Flawless Application Face Brush, $28
3. Clinique Eye Definer Brush, $16.50
4. Sephora Collection Professionnel Concealer Brush #46, $17
5. Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush, $25
6. The Body Shop Eyeshadow Blender Brush, $18
7. Japonesque Pro Blush Brush #324, $35
8. Prescriptives Foundation Brush, $30
9. Studio Basics Cosmetic Blush Brush, $3.85
10. Bobbi Brown Faux Leather Brush Case, $35

A quick note: I'm not a big proponent of the Bare Escentuals company, as I worked there for one day and in the weeks before my first and only day was treated horribly, ignored and lied to. Hence quitting after the first day. Also, a few years after my short stint with the company, I was contacted multiple times over the course of many months regarding a lawsuit against the company by former employees for neglecting to pay worked hours and lying about their pay rates, etc. This really didn't surprise me, considering how I had been treated. That said, they really do produce fantastic (if not inexpensive) brushes and makeup. You must know that I'm very passionate about worker's rights and would never advocate a company like this unless their products were phenomenal.

Summary of the other brushes/brands:

Clinique's Eye Definer Brush is a great tool for soft powder eyeliner and eyeshadow accents. I use it a lot for a little dose of color over a neutral eyeliner base.

Sephora is one of my favorite stores -- I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place. This brush is wonderful because it gets the job done as well as the designer brands, but at a lower price. I usually use it with Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Foundation SPF 15, but it works great with liquid concealer as well.

The Bobbi Brown brush. Oh, wow. Where do I start? I bought this specifically for their Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner, my absolute favorite. But then I bought a cream eyeliner from the drugstore, and it worked wonders with that as well. This double-edged sword is magic: it has a wide side and a skinny, tapered side depending on how thick of a brush stroke you're aiming for.

The Body Shop eyeshadow brush is inexpensive. It does a great job of blending, a perfect tool for smoky eyes. And it's great for putting highlighter shadow just under the brow bone or in the inner corner of the eye.

The Japonesque Pro Blush Brush is soooo ridiculously soft. It feels like clouds are floating over your cheeks.

Prescriptives makes their Foundation Brush perfect for liquid foundation. Although I rarely use it, when I do I use this brush. Using your fingers is more difficult and can trap bacteria, causing breakouts. Using a foam wedge works, but it can take multiple wedges to blend and the material often soaks up too much of the product.

The Studio Basics Blush Brush is a real steal. I got it at CVS in a kit, and although the rest of the kit was as disappointing as I had expected (I had to buy it in an emergency, when I had left all my brushes at home in California by accident), this one was a winner. I like that the synthetic bristles are sturdy enough to sweep a thorough helping of highlighter onto the cheeks. Also good for pesky powder blush, because it actually picks up product from pressed powder.

The Bobbi Brown Faux Leather Brush Case is so handy. I don't know if it's still available in stores, but I have found it online. It's small, zips up and has different spots inside for each brush. I keep all my brushes in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment